Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Pre-pre-view: Perry's office

This is Perry Grosshans, THIN AIR General Manager. Though it doesn't look dark and momentous, what Perry is carrying in his arms is a box of THIN AIR programs. At the time this picture was taken, the programs were still TOP SECRET. Sneak-out-a-copy-in-yer-pants top secret.

But now, when I'm posting the pics, the programs (and the schedule of events it contains) is as common as mud.

That's because the programss were made available for the literati at Miriam Toews' McNally Robinson launch tonight.

Theoretically, the sched isn't actually launched until tomorrow morning, when there'll be a spiffy press conference, also at McNally's...

This is the view from Perry's window. Yes, Perry's Winnipeg includes derelict banks, downtown elm canopies AND Spiderman. And that's because he's a super-geek.

(I can only say that because years ago, Perry and I were in the same writing group. Where we shouted at each other. Okay, I did most of the shouting. But Perry was in the room at the time. And he giggled a lot. So now we trust each other and I can say true things like, "he's a super-geek" in public and he can't fire me.)

(Did I mention that I only got this gig because Perry trusts me? Also, because I've maintained a blog of my own for years. Also, because I can take photos and write and even make various devices do things. Also, because I'm usually at the writers fest anyways...)

This is the view from behind Perry's desk. Note the new-to-him computer (WIWF staff had rock-readers until last year. I'm not kidding.) and the classy bathroom sign.

Heh.

Perry was at the Miriam Toews launch tonight, talking with authors (and perhaps even some civilians) and watching people crack open his beloved program.

Then tomorrow he will talk to media-type-folk about his program.

After that, there's only the rest of the festival to plan and execute in the 18 days before whirring machine that is the festival starts, well, to whir.

I can promise you this: I'll be at that press conference tomorrow, eating THIN AIR's cookies and drinking their beverages. Because that's what an enterprising blogger does, see?

No comments: